Who doesn’t enjoy a ready-made dinner that won’t expand the waistline?! Here’s a pleasing pasta meal that is low in fat yet rich in flavor. For added color and nutrition, top the pasta with diced tomatoes, peppers, steamed broccoli, or other colorful vegetables.
- 8 oz. pasta, such as corkscrew, penne or shells
- 1 1/2 cups cottage cheese, preferably lowfat
- 1 cup milk, preferably skim or lowfat
- 1 to 2 garlic cloves, cut in pieces (or 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder)
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon dried basil or oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon dry mustard
- salt and pepper, as desired
- Optional: 1/4 cup parmesan cheese, dash of chili pepper
- Cook the pasta according to the directions on the box.
- In a blender or food processor, process cottage cheese, milk and garlic until smooth.
- Add flour, lemon juice, basil, mustard, salt, pepper (and chili pepper if desired); process until well blended.
- Pour into a saucepan; (add the parmesan cheese); cook over medium heat until thickened. Do not boil.
- Mix into the noodles; serve with colorful veggies; enjoy!
Yield: 3 servings
Total calories: 1200
Calories per serving: 400
70 g Carb; 25 g Pro; 2 g Fat